Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Grand Canyon Tease

Clothed in clouds and snow, the Canyon gave only fleeting glimpses on the first day, much more than on a postcard perfect day.

The snow and clouds were themselves so beautiful, and so different from all the postcards and stories, I wasn't even looking at the Canyon. And when I did, its mostly cloudy striptease revealed a distant misty butte, a switchback trail disappearing into the shrouded depths, a mirage triangle of white water far below. I was ready.

The next day, the sun shone brightly on the endless hues of red rock, and the shadows changed the view as I watched. Then the majesty, the outer space beauty, and, especially with all the slippery snow around, the vertiginous danger of the Grand Canyon played their chords in my chest. Awesome indeed.

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker